Come on in... we speak ze eenglish (or try to)

Forum dédié aux off-topics de BoOt et Lyn ainsi que d'autres personnes :o)
Répondre
eärendil
Auror
Auror
Je suis : Une sorcière

Come on in... we speak ze eenglish (or try to)

Message par eärendil »

Well, it is my pleasure to reopen this topic after a day of 'parlers' with and between the moderators. I want to offer my apologies if I created a mess and wanted to thank you for your support and the second chance you are giving to this topic. I am delighted that places where we can practice our second/third language is fine with administration.

So here we are at it again. Let's have fun... And since I get the chance to make this place my own for a second time - and I hope you'll bring in some things of yours - let me introduce you to this little place.

Imagine a large room, pretty much like the common room of Griffindor - I wish I knew what ravenclaw's common room look like though - comfy chairs, a chimney and on the walls some posters showing passions of your crazy host, meaning Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter of course, but also a large bookcase with French classics, such as Hugo or Balzac and Camus, Fantasy - what would be a bookcase without Dune and His Dark Materials or LOTR?? - and of course Mangas and magazines about iceskating or movies...
At the corner of the room, the music end ;) : an HiFi with CDs with classical music, Bach, Pachelbel, Rameau, musicals - I will let Smoki take charge of that one I guess though you can count among these already Chicago, Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera, Starmania, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Cabaret - more modern things - I will let you bring that in, I'm too ecclectic to make a list.

So yes, bring in your passions because we are also here to talk about this ;) ;)... It goes far beyond just the practice of the language.

For those of you who are here to take their first steps in the language, don't hesitate to ask if there are words you don't understand, grammar construction that are not clear, idioms that would not be clear. I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag but I do have a couple of ideas to make that thread even more lively ;)... But then I can't count my chickens before they're hatched, can I? These plans will depend on many things, and especially you...

Have fun, settle in, make yourself comfortable...
It's time to play :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PS: And no I'm not an RP freak that's not the reason why this place is described the way it is ;)
Dernière modification par eärendil le 21 déc. 2008, 19:49, modifié 5 fois.
Some things I cannot change, but 'till I try, I'll never know
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
ImageImage
http://www.candidcameraman.com

Eldariann
Lecteur occasionnel

Message par Eldariann »

Well well, here we are again.

I'm glad you opened that topic once again. Not that I don't have any occasions to practice the language, but it's nice to talk about anything but position papers, draft resolutions, financing (don't even try to understand... only our dear host will :lol: ).

So I hope we can have some fun around here !!!

See you soon guys !!!

Eldariann
Ne jamais abandonner, ne jamais se laisser faire.
Nous sommes les maîtres de notre propre destin... quoiqu'on puisse en dire !

Never give up, never let go.
We are masters of our destiny... whatever happens !

Fluffy
Lecteur assidu

Message par Fluffy »

Great!

So Hello everybody :wink:

My english isn't very good because I had nobody to practise with me! But now I have :wink:

I perhaps go in England soon and I'm a little frightened for many reason...First because I have forgot a lot of tings about how to talk and how to write in English and second because I'm very shy :oops:

So this topic is very useful for me :wink:

Thanks of you :D

:arrow: sorry for the fault of orthography and grammar :oops:
Garde tout ton blabla pour le blablatologue!!

zazabel
Lecteur occasionnel

Message par zazabel »

Hello! :D
On the last english topic I don't take part often (?) but now I will because english is my favourite language :P and next year I will go in a "european class".
So I hope I can understand what you say :lol: and, of course, learn new worlds :P
long life at the english topic :lol:

Lna
Directrice Artistique

Message par Lna »

Great... the return of the English thread !

A good way to practise. I start learning English nine years ago, but the two last year i don't practise it very much. Nobody to talk with... arf... and my accent is a desaster. I prefer read books, I understand when i read or when it's write, but when someone try to talk me... i don't understand :( . A little problem and i don't know why. Maybe they speak to fast or they don't prononce very well... i don't know.

Well, I will try to be present in this topic and learn as much as I can. (And if you don't see me here, you can find me in the Spanish thread too).
Mon beau Sapin ! Roi des Sapins ! Que tes épines sont belles !

paycheck
Lecteur inconditionnel

Message par paycheck »

Lna >>> We don't say "pronounce" ? ^^"..... I don't knom I say that just with the feeling .

So me I have begun to learn English at school 6 years ago... and This year I have maybe 10/20 in English... It's not easy ^^". However since my "6eme" I have learn a lot of things and I think I can speak a little bit english when I want. For example I have understood all what you say in that topic (exept words which are too hard for my knowledge of english ^^")

I will read what we will whrite in that topic if I have time, and strengh .
Image "le dieuX" :mrgreen:

Abelforth
Gardien de la Bibliothèque

Message par Abelforth »

paycheck a écrit :Lna >>> We don't say "pronounce" ? ^^"..... I don't knom I say that just with the feeling .
Maybe the word you are looking for is to spell ?

Even if i didn't reply to the other thread, i think that that kind of topics are a good thing for people like me who don't have a very good english ^^

I started learning english seven years ago and even if my written level is quite high ( he is not, but when i see my friend's level :p ) my speaking is ... ugly ?

Ailis
Chroniqueuse RITMique

Message par Ailis »

We're back !!! *happy*

I started learning english about 10 years ago but only started to apreciate it really 4 years ago ! I'm now studying "European languages" and english has become my favourite language. For part of this course, I have the opportunity to do an internship in a company abroad, I am currently looking for one in Ireland.

I will be following this subject with great attention !
See you !
piwi a écrit :Je voudrais vivre dans une queue party pour toujours !

Thizbel
Lecteur assidu

Message par Thizbel »

Yeah ! :D
long life to english topic^^ !

I didn't take part in the first english topic, but now I will make an effort :wink: ...
...because (like I said in the topic "Your Life"), I enroled me for a year in (or to ? or at ? aïe !) USA, and yeterday I had a phone call for anounce me that I'll very probably go to America ! :D I'm so happy !
(my god, faults ! :? )

Tapesouafle
Chroniqueur sportif

Message par Tapesouafle »

Welcome back, English thread. A wise decision was made by the moderators on the whole. We should thank them for that.
Le saviez-vous: Un des 12 usages du sang de dragon est... "nettoyant pour four". C'est pas de moi, c'est de JKR...

Killer62
Lecteur occasionnel

Message par Killer62 »

Yeah!

Well, I love English. I guess it's a better language than that stupid French, for we haven't to learn some dates about the past of Engand. We haven't to read books from fools that thought they were the most intelligent. It's an easy-to-understand language, so translating is not so difficult. I don't understand why lots of people say that it's too difficult for us. I think it's the easyiest thing in the world.

By a way of conlusion, English is goooooooood!

zazabel
Lecteur occasionnel

Message par zazabel »

Thizbel a écrit :I enroled me for a year in (or to ? or at ? aïe !) USA, and yeterday I had a phone call for anounce me that I'll very probably go to America ! :D I'm so happy !
(my god, faults ! :? )
you're so lucky!!
I return to England next summer but just for 3 or 4weeks...it's better than nothing. My parents said I can go for 3month to (the ?) USA, Canada or Australia but with my 14 little years I'm to young...I must just have one monce more fore it (why am I born in august?!)!! :cry:

I read you all practise english since 9/10 years, and I...just three and a half! you're all lucky! So I must practise a lot to be better :)

eärendil
Auror
Auror
Je suis : Une sorcière

Message par eärendil »

Lna a écrit :Great... the return of the English thread !

A good way to practise. I start learning English nine years ago, but the two last year i don't practise it very much. Nobody to talk with... arf... and my accent is a desaster. I prefer read books, I understand when i read or when it's write, but when someone try to talk me... i don't understand :( . A little problem and i don't know why. Maybe they speak to fast or they don't prononce very well... i don't know.

Well, I will try to be present in this topic and learn as much as I can. (And if you don't see me here, you can find me in the Spanish thread too).
Ok I am going to use Lna's post because, first I know she'll not be upset if I tell her there are some mistakes and second because she's used the most complicated construction for us little Frenchies that is the use of the past in English. But let say that there were some things in Pay's post also.

Ok, well in English there are some different past tenses as in French. They have "preterit" "present perfect", "past perfect" and "present/past perfect continuous" (where did they get that name from God only knows :lol:).

Think of the preterit as our former simple past. I say former because now when we're talking we use passé composé instead of passé simple.
In French we say dimanche dernier, je suis allée au cinéma, though instead in a written form we would have to say dimanche dernier, j'allai au cinéma.
If you can actually put the simple past instead of the passé composé then you will use the preterit in English. So where Lna said
I start learning English nine years ago,
she should have said
I started learning English nine years ago.

Furthermore, as your teachers probably all told you, it's an action that is terminated; because even you are still learning English the time when you started to learn is over.

Now for the second part,
paycheck a écrit :So me I have begun to learn English at school 6 years ago... and This year I have maybe 10/20 in English... It's not easy ^^". However since my "6eme" I have learn a lot of things and I think I can speak a little bit english when I want. For example I have understood all what you say in that topic (exept words which are too hard for my knowledge of english ^^")
In red, same mistake as I explained before ;), it will be "I began" instead of I have begun...

But! in the sentence in blue there is only one mistake and that's the "learn" which should come with a 't' because it's a participe passé. But I put it in blue because it is the second rule I want to give.
When you have an indication that the action is not yet terminated, because Pay is obviously meaning that he is still learning English; he used the word "since". So, when the action is not finished you will use the perfect.

Pay, don't hesitate to ask for those words, I'll try to give you synonyms or definitions that are clear (as long as we can avoid translation it'll be good)

The problem now lies in Lna's sentence
but the two last year i don't practise it very much.
Well, she should not use the present, although in French we do. But here we are faced with two possibilities.
- either the two years are considered terminated because of this thread opening or because Lna is now taking new classes in English. In that case she would say for the past two years I didn't practice it much
- or the two years are not considered terminated because she still doesn't have people to talk with and in that case she would say for the past two years I haven't practiced it much.

My own perception would automatically bring me to the second possibility, because "for the past two years" has always seemed to me an expression of something that is not yet over even though it'll be soon.

And Killer, I wanted to tell you something about what you wrote; maybe English is an easy language to you, but it is not exactly true. I've gone too far into studying the linguistics of it to say that it is easy. But it is true that it is easy to "speak it badly" (as Churchill would say). You can be alright with a little bit of English but once you start really studying it, it's not that simple.
And while I love speaking English, I do believe that French is one of the most interesting language to study. We are blessed to be native because it is very hard to learn.

Well I am delighted to see so many people in such a little time :mrgreen:...

And Thiz I am so glad to hear you'll be heading over this side of the pond :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Some things I cannot change, but 'till I try, I'll never know
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
ImageImage
http://www.candidcameraman.com

Chino
Maugrey de la Gazette
Maugrey de la Gazette
Je suis : Un sorcier

Message par Chino »

I guess it's a better language than that stupid French
Just respect our language boy. If you don't like frenc speaking it's YOUR problem, but it's not a stupid language.
Retraité

Killer62
Lecteur occasionnel

Message par Killer62 »

eärendil a écrit :And while I love speaking English, I do believe that French is one of the most interesting language to study.
"While" can't be used in this sentence. Indeed, this word's got rather a "time" meaning. You can say : While I was bathing, the phone rang.

You should have said :
And though/although I love speaking English

Edit : I like speaking French, but I don't like studying books from Voltaire, Victor Hugo ...

Répondre

Revenir à « Hors sujet »