Come on in... we speak ze eenglish (or try to)

Forum dédié aux off-topics de BoOt et Lyn ainsi que d'autres personnes :o)
Mîrmegil
Ⓐdmin

Re: Come on in... we speak ze eenglish (or try to)

Message par Mîrmegil »

Okay, wake up and let's have a real debate here. What is your favorite Disney animation movie ? Why ?

Abraxan
Lecteur fanatique
Je suis : Un sorcier
Mon pseudo Pottermore : HallowAsh103
Mes informations Pottermore : Serpentard

Message par Abraxan »

I don't have a favorite Disney movie.

They're all bad.
Image Image
UN POUR TOUS ET TOUS POUSSINS Image

Gellert Grindelwald
Localisation : Centre de retraitement des paradoxes par-delà l'arc-en-ciel.

Message par Gellert Grindelwald »

⑨ - Image - Censé bosser... Image
Spoiler (cliquez pour révéler) :

Smokman a écrit :Mais je n'ai pas perdu espoir dans ton évolution.
/人‿‿人\

eärendil
Auror
Auror
Je suis : Une sorcière

Message par eärendil »

I have always found that my French accent almost completely disappeared when I did not speak French at all for long periods of time. "Long" going from 15 days to several months - with only one conversation a week with my parents during that period.
When I came back from Ireland in 2002 after a year there, I had one of the thickest Irish accents possible - I lived in Limerick close enough to Cork to grab that accent in the time I spent there since I was living with 4 Irish guys (and 3 girls from Germany, Italy and the US). We spoke nothing but English.
Today, even though I speak English every single day at work, when I do grocery shopping, when I go to the theatre... I speak French with my husband every day too and so I do have a hint of French accent in my English no matter what I do. It's not heavy but still there is no mistake I am French and nothing else.

More so than the accent what is a total give-away is when we use "faux-amis". I used to use souvenirs instead of memories... granted souvenirs also means souvenirs but rather the type you bring back from a trip to offer someone or yourself ;).
I was watching Riding Zone with my dad in Paris a couple of weeks ago and one of the programs was in English; the host's English was broken. Not because of her accent, which is part of the French charm :P but because she kept using the wrong words. "Present" instead of "introduce", "actually" instead of "currently" are the ones that come to mind most easily... Let's not even talk about her conjugation of irregular verbs :shock:. Great that she got the job but it actually bugs me that one can get away with such a poor level of English and speak it on TV, because unfortunately that is what is going to stick with people and it's not right.

My English is not perfect and I learn everyday; I love having people around me who don't feel that correcting my English is going to get them in trouble - they are after all my employees for the most part. Practice makes perfect sure, but if you practice the wrong thing over and over well it is still not going to be perfect.
So my advice is really to spend some time in the country without any opportunity to speak French at all. By that I mean don't live with French speaking people, don't try and find the places where French people hang out. At least not for a few months if you're going to be there for that long.
Something that was beyond me in Ireland was a group of exchange students from the same university who decided to all live together for the time they were in Limerick. You can imagine how their English improved ;).

I hope you bear with me on the following, just going to correct a couple of things. ;)

Puppet, one says "I don't know about anyone else, but it helped me a lot" ;). And I agree watching TV series or movies does help, arguably more on vocabulary than accentuation - mostly because depending on what series you watch the accents are going to be somewhat different and it can become a little confusing.

Gellert, in this context, I guess you would say "we don't get many opportunities to do so"... "occasion" is more a synonym of "instance" if that helps.

Wendy, you would say "I have no problem reading..." for is not necessary in this case.

Mîrm, it should read "I don't see the point of accentuation."

Abraxan a écrit :I don't have a favorite Disney movie.

They're all bad.
Abraxan, if you're going to make such a blatant statement, you might as well back it up.
Not all Disney movies are bad; that you feel some of them are not I can understand, I don't like them all but all of them? I am curious now. Why such a hatred of the movies? :P :P ;)
Some things I cannot change, but 'till I try, I'll never know
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
ImageImage
http://www.candidcameraman.com

Gellert Grindelwald
Localisation : Centre de retraitement des paradoxes par-delà l'arc-en-ciel.

Message par Gellert Grindelwald »

eä a écrit :Gellert, in this context, I guess you would say "we don't get many opportunities to do so"... "occasion" is more a synonym of "instance" if that helps.
Thanks for the vocabulary, that's my main weakness. >w<

Also, I had fun today in an english examination : we were supposed to play the role of a trainee at the European Commission working on the subject of Fair Trade, and also keep a neutral point of view. That was funny. xD
(one of the text we were supposed to use even said "market prices are the only fair prices"... XDDD)
⑨ - Image - Censé bosser... Image
Spoiler (cliquez pour révéler) :

Smokman a écrit :Mais je n'ai pas perdu espoir dans ton évolution.
/人‿‿人\

Abraxan
Lecteur fanatique
Mon pseudo Pottermore : HallowAsh103
Mes informations Pottermore : Serpentard

Message par Abraxan »

It was just a troll :lol:

I like some Disney , I even some soundtracks on my iPod ;)
Image Image
UN POUR TOUS ET TOUS POUSSINS Image

eärendil
Auror
Auror
Je suis : Une sorcière

Message par eärendil »

Gellert Grindelwald a écrit :
eä a écrit :Gellert, in this context, I guess you would say "we don't get many opportunities to do so"... "occasion" is more a synonym of "instance" if that helps.
Thanks for the vocabulary, that's my main weakness. >w<
If that's the case, then I suggest you take Puppet's advice. Watching series and movies as well reading (newspaper/books etc.) are the best way to improve your vocabulary.
Also, I had fun today in an english examination : we were supposed to play the role of a trainee at the European Commission working on the subject of Fair Trade, and also keep a neutral point of view. That was funny. xD
(one of the text we were supposed to use even said "market prices are the only fair prices"... XDDD)
Ah that one sounds like Ricardo... it's your liberal theory of the market. In both macro and micro economics if I recall properly (my classes on this go way back to 1999 gee I'm old).
That must have been a nice exercise. Debate also teaches you much because you have to articulate thoughts and arguments in a convincing way.

Abraxan, I figured ;)... but still that was a nice way to start the conversation :).
I got quite a few Disney soundtracks on my iTunes as well... let's not be exhaustive otherwise you'll be exhausted (yes pun intended ;))
Some things I cannot change, but 'till I try, I'll never know
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
ImageImage
http://www.candidcameraman.com

Chloé25
Nouveau lecteur

Message par Chloé25 »

If you strive to master the English grammar but some themes and rules are especially complicated for you, follow this source to find out additional studying materials which can help you comprehend the grammar better http://getessayeditor.com/blog/usage-of ... in-english

Répondre

Revenir à « Hors sujet »