Come on in... we speak ze eenglish (or try to)

Forum dédié aux off-topics de BoOt et Lyn ainsi que d'autres personnes :o)
eärendil
Auror
Auror
Je suis : Une sorcière

Message par eärendil »

Killer62 a écrit :
eärendil a écrit :And while I love speaking English, I do believe that French is one of the most interesting language to study.
"While" can't be used in this sentence. Indeed, this word's got rather a "time" meaning. You can say : While I was bathing, the phone rang.

You should have said :
And though/although I love speaking English

Edit : I like speaking French, but I don't like studying books from Voltaire, Victor Hugo ...
As it is, the term can be used in this sense ;). Though I agree "whereas" would have been more appropriate, it's still alright...
That's the interesting difference between studying English and actually living in a country where it is spoken. Irish people would use "while" instead of 'whereas, though'... I lived there for a year and got used to it ;)
Some things I cannot change, but 'till I try, I'll never know
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
ImageImage
http://www.candidcameraman.com

Killer62
Lecteur occasionnel

Message par Killer62 »

eärendil a écrit :
Killer62 a écrit :
eärendil a écrit :And while I love speaking English, I do believe that French is one of the most interesting language to study.
"While" can't be used in this sentence. Indeed, this word's got rather a "time" meaning. You can say : While I was bathing, the phone rang.

You should have said :
And though/although I love speaking English

Edit : I like speaking French, but I don't like studying books from Voltaire, Victor Hugo ...
As it is, the term can be used in this sense ;). Though I agree "whereas" would have been more appropriate, it's still alright...
That's the interesting difference between studying English and actually living in a country where it is spoken. Irish people would use "while" instead of 'whereas, though'... I lived there for a year and got used to it ;)
Well, sorry for my mistake. I guessed I could find one in your post, but I was wrong. :wink:

eärendil
Auror
Auror

Message par eärendil »

:lol: :lol: I do make mistakes ;)
And I count on you guys to tell them to me... sometimes I see them for myself once they're done :roll:

So what I'd like to do for now, is to invite you to tell me the books you've read in English thus far, and how you've found them hard to read or - on the contrary - easy ;)... I know that I've read LOTR something like 20 times in English :roll:. But I did find the Silmarillion difficult to read, not only the way it is written, but it being different storie intertwinned in more ways than I could see; it took me 3 readings to actually grasp it :roll:
ImageImage

O'neill
Lecteur assidu

Message par O'neill »

Chino a écrit :
I guess it's a better language than that stupid French
Just respect our language boy. If you don't like frenc speaking it's YOUR problem, but it's not a stupid language.
I totally agree with ChYnoo (yeah! It seems to be better in english :lol: )
In my mind, french is the most beautiful language I have ever heard. I love english but french has a style, a good-looked (I no it's normaly for boys but I don't remember how I could explain that :wink: ) that the others languages don't own. It's one of the most completed language in the world.
So I have been learning to speak english since my childshood. Furthermore, I have lost a lot of vocabulary and ease the lasted year. In 4eme, I was in an europeean class but just for one year as I have to move to another place. Today, in my class, we have only two hours and 30 minuts per week. It's really too bad and our teacher is (really) pathetic.
I hope I could increase my level when I will be in FAC.
Nethertheless live this topic! :wink:
"La magie n'existe pas" (Les Nouvelles chroniques de Krondor t-1)

camcam
Lecteur occasionnel

Message par camcam »

Hello hello !!! So, I wasn't in the other topic but now, I'll try to often come (I'm not sure of the order of these words, sorry :oops: ) because next year, I want to try to go (or going ? :oops: ) in an european class and I think this is very interresting and good for me to come here (to learn new words for exemple, but the default is that I can't ameliorate my accent which is not very good, I think :wink: ).
So...I started learn english nearly four years ago, and first, I didn't like it because my teachers were disastrous ! But last year I had a very good teacher and last summer I've read Harry Potter and the half-blood prince in english (with my mum but we were reading each on our side) and I really loved it ! So, now, I love english and I started last week to read The magician nephew, which is the first book of the chronicles of Narnia.
Well well I think I've told everythings you need (or not) to know and now I'll try to understand some words in the german topic (which is not sure I can do because geran is only my second langage at school). So, I tell you goodbye and thank you very much Earendil for opening this post :wink:

Edit : I'm sorry for my mistakes and if there are some, tell me where they are, please :oops:
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
But love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah...

eärendil
Auror
Auror

Message par eärendil »

Ok I'll highlight the mistakes in red and correction in bold ;)
camcam a écrit :Hello hello !!! So, I wasn't in the other topic but now, I'll try to (often) come more often (I'm not sure of the order of these words, sorry :oops: ) because next year, I want to try to go (or going ? :oops: ) in an European class and I think this is very inte(r)resting and good for me to come here (to learn new words for exemple, but the default problem is that I can't ameliorate improve my accent which is not very good, I think :wink: ).
So...I started learn english nearly four years ago, and first, I didn't like it because my teachers were disastrous ! But last year I had a very good teacher and last summer I('ve) read Harry Potter and the half-blood prince in English (with my mum but we were reading each on our side) and I really loved it ! So, now, I love english and last week I started (last week) to read The magician nephew, which is the first book of the chronicles of Narnia.
Well well I think I've told everythings you need (or not) to know and now I'll try to understand some words in the german topic (which is not sure I can do because geran is only my second langage at school). So, I tell you goodbye and thank you very much Earendil for opening this post :wink:

Edit : I'm sorry for my mistakes and if there are some, tell me where they are, please :oops:
No problem, I also opened it for my own pleasure :mrgreen:
for the accent, the only thing that I can advise you to do is go and see movies in English both US/British because you'll get a feeling of it. Songs are not bad to learn either, I know my sister ha a good accent because she's got a good ear. And then I know some people who spent years in an English speaking country and still have their French accent ;)...
ImageImage

Ailis
Chroniqueuse RITMique

Message par Ailis »

eraendil said:

"And Killer, I wanted to tell you something about what you wrote; maybe English is an easy language to you, but it is not exactly true. I've gone too far into studying the linguistics of it to say that it is easy. But it is true that it is easy to "speak it badly" (as Churchill would say). You can be alright with a little bit of English but once you start really studying it, it's not that simple.
And while I love speaking English, I do believe that French is one of the most interesting language to study. We are blessed to be native because it is very hard to learn."

I agree with you, most people think english is very easy... well I would say that they didn't get far enough into the language to see how rich and complicated it is. As for the translation, you may think it's easy (killer)... just come to one of my class ! We are not only asked to translate the words but also the atmosphere, the tone... our role is to translate so as an article or text will be understandable for french in matter of culutre and not only words.

But never mind, when you are specialized in a subject as I am in english and spanish, you always need to defend it ! (the bad side of passion) :wink:
piwi a écrit :Je voudrais vivre dans une queue party pour toujours !

papsou_picsou
B.C.B.G. de la Gazette

Message par papsou_picsou »

In fact, I find that it is simple to understand English. I want to say that even if I have limited an enough vocabulary, I manage to understand English.
But, on the contrary, I have evil to pass from French to English...

Example : I am persuaded that I made full with faults in this tiny paragraph !
Image R.E.S.C.A.P.É.E de l'envers du CFLM
Gellert Grindelwald a écrit :Cest pour ça que je n'ose plus poster... :peur:

Killer62
Lecteur occasionnel

Message par Killer62 »

papsou_picsou a écrit :In fact, I find that it is simple to understand English. I want to say that even if I have limited an enough vocabulary, I manage to understand English.
But, on the contrary, I have evil to pass from French to English...

Example : I am persuaded that I made full with faults in this tiny paragraph !
I want to say = I mean
I have limited an enough vocabulary = My vocabulary is rather limited
on the contrary = on the other side
I am persuaded = I am convinced
I made full with faults = I made many mistakes

I've probably forgotten some mistakes, but I'm not as well as eärendil.
eärendil, you're the best ^^

papsou_picsou
B.C.B.G. de la Gazette

Message par papsou_picsou »

Picsou, or how-to-make-very-full-with-mistakes-in-four-lines.*

*Caution. Limited specimens.
Image R.E.S.C.A.P.É.E de l'envers du CFLM
Gellert Grindelwald a écrit :Cest pour ça que je n'ose plus poster... :peur:

Nymphadora
Lecteur inconditionnel
Localisation : Dublin, City of Leprechauns and International Drunk Guys

Message par Nymphadora »

Welcome to the new English thread :D (Eärie, please a little explication, 'thread' is the same name as "topic" in french, that's right ? :oops: )

I'm happy to see it coming back !... and happier to see that Eärendil is still here to help us to correct our mistakes, and I advertise you Ea, you will have much (?) work with us, especially with me !^^

And to talk about an English subject, I'm searching for a travel in Irlande in June, I'm not sure when and whith who I want to go there, but I know I want it ! :P I bought the french "guide du routard" about the Irish country (Can I say that ?) and the more I read it, the more I'm hurried to discover this country !!! I think I will go with the aeroplane company of "Ryanair", even if it's not too comfortable, it is ship... :roll: Then, I will probably have to take irish bus (Bus Éireann maybe ? ) to travel in the country, because Irish railways are too expensive I think... I'm just a student after all !... I wanna discover west of the country especially, because it seems to be wilder and really beautiful ! I don't think I will go in the North of the Irlande, maybe a next time, who knows ?... And must of all : I will go in "pub", real pubs with real Guiness and other stout beers !^^ That will be good (you're understanding now why I want to make economy on the travel ! :lol: )

... does anybody want to go with me ? :D :wink:

Lna
Directrice Artistique

Message par Lna »

Yeah.... you're going to see the sheeps ?.... Bêeee bêeee :D

How many time do you want to stay in this country ? One week, two, or one month ?
Mon beau Sapin ! Roi des Sapins ! Que tes épines sont belles !

Ailis
Chroniqueuse RITMique

Message par Ailis »

Yes Nymphadora ! I wanna come with you ! Well I'm going anyway !
I have been waiting to go there for over two years and I finally get the opportunity ! I will probably go to Dublin for my internship.
I am really looking forward to visiting Ireland, I don't have a clue why, but this country attracts me a lot !
piwi a écrit :Je voudrais vivre dans une queue party pour toujours !

Saykin
H.L.M. (Honorable Lecteur Modéré)

Message par Saykin »

Hi people, I'm glad you opened this topic again eärendil ! This is going to be a good thing for those who'd like to improve their English. I'm sorry but I can't stay any longer, so have a nice "talk" here... ^^

Nymphadora
Lecteur inconditionnel
Localisation : Dublin, City of Leprechauns and International Drunk Guys

Message par Nymphadora »

Lna a écrit :Yeah.... you're going to see the sheeps ?.... Bêeee bêeee :D

How many time do you want to stay in this country ? One week, two, or one month ?
Yeah ! :lol: I'm gonna see sheeps, it will change me from seing cows ! :lol: :wink:

I wanna stay about two weeks or three if I go with someone I get along with :roll: ... At the biginning I should go with a friend, but she bothered me when we're staying too much time together, she's always complaining about herself, and I'm questionning myself if that will be a great idea to go with her... I will think about that !

Ailis : :D really you will ?
I am really looking forward to visiting Ireland, I don't have a clue why, but this country attracts me a lot !
I pretty feel the same ! :D I think it's because of the images we have heard of or seen, like the Conemara, and all these wild countries... That's really attractive ! :P (and also, I do like fearies and leprechauns, all that sorts of little cute spirits !^^)

Répondre

Revenir à « Hors sujet »